Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Contests

So, late year, I entered the Amazon.com Breakthrough Novel Award. I didn't win, but it was fun to put my book up anyway. If anyone here has any novels they might like to enter, look at the link above. It's all free as well, there is surprisingly no entry fee. There are two categories, general fiction and young adult fiction. You have to write a pitch to sell your book to the judges and if you get through that step, they will read your first 5,000 words, (ugh, my most un-favorite part! Do you know how hard it is to start a story in 5,000 words?) and then if you get through that section of the contest, they will read your whole novel. After both of those is when they get to send you mean reviews they think are constructive when they just perfectly missed the whole point of your book. But, seriously, it's not that bad and the experience is good, so if anyone is interested, go take a look. And tell me what you decide! I'd like to look for your names if you decide to enter. Once you get to the part of the 5,000 word excerpts, the other writers can read everyone's entries and comment on them. I will tell you one thing, that usually the other writers are a lot nicer in their reviews than the reviewers!

But take a look and I hope to see you there!

Cheers, Hazel

No comments:

Post a Comment